RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE13/09/2019 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Hiroshima
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
[Message from the President of Hiroshima University]
Hiroshima University (HU) herewith makes an open international job offer and seeks to appoint Professor with tenure; Associate Professor on Tenure Track System in the research area of Science and Technology (Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vehicle Fluid Dynamics, Ocean Engineering). This position is based on the `Policy for recruiting/cultivating excellent faculty members'. The university introduced this policy to create a secure environment in which junior-positioned faculty members can concentrate on their research/education.
The post above has been newly created at HU to enable the promotion of the applicant to the position of Associate Professor with tenure or of Professor on the condition that he/she passes the tenure-track review before the tenure-track period expires. Such a system assumes that the recruited person will settle down in one place so that he/she can dedicate himself/herself to research and education in accordance with his/her proposed research.
Therefore, when processing an application for recruitment, we evaluate not only each applicant's performance on research/education, but also the contents and the scope of his/her research plan. Thus, we assess whether or not the applicant's research plan is mid-to-long term (i.e. about 10 years) in scope, exceeding the tenure-track period. At the time of the review for the tenured promotion, we comprehensively evaluate the applicant's achievements during his/her term at HU and the future prospect of his/her research.
By providing startup support money and assigning a mentor to each newly-recruited faculty member on tenure track, HU continues to develop an environment where such faculty members can engage himself/herself in research activities independently. In case the recruited member does not secure tenure, he/she will be able to extend his/her term of employment for up to one year as a specially appointed faculty member. The special appointment starts on the day following the end date of the existing employment contract for the tenure-track position.
We are looking forward to welcoming those who are prepared to go along with the principles, long-term vision and medium-term target of HU (https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/about), and who are motivated and can play key roles by committing themselves to research and education at HU.
Mitsuo Ochi, President of Hiroshima University
*The details of the job information are below
Academy of Hiroshima University
(Department of Transportation and Environmental Systems, Graduate School of Engineering)
[Position(s) and the number of opening(s)]
Professor, or Associate Professor, one (1)
(Depending on the result of the performance reviews of the applicant at the time of employment, he/she may be decided on any of the following titles: Professor with tenure; Associate Professor on Tenure Track System)
[Commencing date of employment]
April 1, 2020
[Terms of employment]
Associate Professor(Tenure-track position(s)): Period of employment: 7 years
Tenure-track faculty members will undergo a tenure review within six (6) months prior to completion of the term of appointment, and those who have successfully passed the review process will be granted tenure along with promotion either to associate professor or a lecturer.
Granting a candidate for tenure is subject to two reviewing process: an intermediate and final review. If a candidate is not granted tenure in final review, he/she will be dismissed from the university upon completion of the term of appointment.
If a candidate has taken a leave because of some life events such as delivering a baby, child-raising and caregiving, he/she may extend the term of appointment up to certain period according to the length of such leave.
*If you would like to know more about the standards for tenure review, please contact the office shown below for any enquiries.
[Field of specialization]
Science and Technology (Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vehicle Fluid Dynamics, Ocean Engineering)
Undergraduate level (general education courses): Industry and Technology, Introductory Seminar for First-Year Students, Science of Vehicle and Transportation, etc.
Undergraduate level (discipline specific courses): Fluid Dynamics Ⅰ, Fluid Dynamics for Vehicle and Environmental Systems, Viscous Fluid and Turbulent Flow, Ocean-Atmosphere System, Introduction of Mechanical and Transportation Engineering, etc.
Graduate level (master's programs): Advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics, Transportation and Environmental Systems Seminar IA･ⅠB･ⅡA･ⅡB, Transportation and Environmental Systems Research ⅠA･IB･IIA･ⅡB, etc.
Graduate level (doctoral programs): Transportation and Environmental Systems Research Ⅲ･Ⅳ･Ⅴ, etc.
* In addition to the courses listed above, he or she may be asked to teach other general education courses and/or discipline specific courses in other department(s) and graduate school(s).
[Address of work location and other information]
1-4-1, Kagamiyama, Higashi-hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
(1) If you are agreeable to the application of the Discretionary Labor System for Professional Work, you are deemed to work for 7 hours and 45 minutes a day and 38 hours and 45 minutes a week. If not, working hours are from 8:30 to 17:00 (from Monday to Friday) and break time is from 12:00 to 12:45.
(2) Workdays are from Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) in principle.
(3) Holidays are Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays in principle.
(1) The monthly salary system or annual salary system will be applied to successful candidates.
*Currently, we are considering a new annual salary system, and if the new system is introduced at date of adoption, it will apply.
We conduct individual performance evaluations for all Hiroshima University faculty members after their employment, numerically rate their performance, and salary and benefits are commensurate with performance indicators.
(1) Probationary employment period: six (6) months
(2) Personal information obtained from application documents will not be used or provided to any third party for purposes other than the necessary procedures related to personnel affairs, salary, and welfare. Application documents of applicants whom we have decided not to employ will be returned to those applicants in an appropriate manner, after the completion of relevant selection processes.
(3) All the faculty members of Hiroshima University belong to the "Academy", which is the single university-wide faculty organization, and each faculty as a member of the Academy of the University is appointed to educational and/or research organizations such as an individual undergraduate school, graduate school, research center and institute.
(4) For each specialized field of faculty, Hiroshima University has defined Minimum standards for hiring new faculty (“the minimum standards"). We use the minimum standards for the initial screening process of the applicants, and only those who have cleared the minimum standards will qualify as the candidates for the post concerned. The minimum standards used for this international job offer can be viewed by clicking the following URL link.
(5) HU provides employment information (research job, desk job and etc.).
If your spouse wishes to work for HU, please refer to the following URL link.
employment information: https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/employment/
(6) Successful candidates may be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred for the trip from their home or former place of work to the new place of work to assume their post in accordance with the relevant regulations of Hiroshima University. For more information, please contact us.
EURAXESS offer ID: 423951
Posting organisation offer ID: D119061342
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.