ORGANISATION/COMPANYJapan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDAstronomy › CosmologyComputer scienceEnvironmental science › Earth scienceGeosciencesPhysicsTechnology › Computer technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)First Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/09/2019 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Kanagawa
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
Earth System Model Development and Application Group (ESM-DAG), Research Center for Environmental Modeling and Application (CEMA), Research Insitute for Global Change (RIGC), JAMSTEC is soliciting applications for one position as an Engineer. The successful applicant will perform the following research activities.
(1) Integration of source codes for the latest component models (i.e., atmosphere, ocean, and land), as well as initialization, systematic management, and optimization of these models for multiple high-performance computing (HPC) platforms, with the aim of developing a simulation basis for comprehensive engagement with global environmental change. This role will require the ability to conduct negotiations with vendors in Japanese.
(2) Development of general-purpose modules, including couplers of component models and input/output (IO) systems.
(3) Leading the development of technology to improve the efficiency of data conversion and transfer for participation in international projects such as the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP).
Each of these research activities will require professional-level skills in FORTRAN, UNIX, shell scripts, and visualization software. The ability to actively engage in the training of less-experienced engineers is desirable.
[Relevant Research Fields]
Meteorology, Climate Science, Oceanography, Computer Science, and other related fields.
Engineer: To contribute to the Agency, an Engineer is expected to manage, improve and advance the infrastructure. Establishment of technology based on a background of general technical knowledge such as information system, improvement of technical management functions is also inclusive.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
(1) Number of positions:
1 Engineer Position
(2) Type of contract
Tenure-track fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours:
9:00-17:30 (Lunch hours 12:15-13:00)
(4) Contract Period:
November 1, 2019 to March 31, 2022
*One contract period is a maximum of three fiscal years. The contract period will be renewed but the total contract period is maximum five fiscal years (until March 31, 2024).
*Appointment date is negotiable.
Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
e.g. JPY 6,000,000-8,000,000
*Overtime payment will be added to monthly salary.
*Salary will be competitive in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, based on the academic qualifications and demonstrated research skills of the applicant.
*There is no bonus and retirement allowance.
For the details, please refer to the above "Job posting URL".
1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
3) The successful applicant will required to submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
5) The conditions above may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC's principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified females to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.
EURAXESS offer ID: 428350
Posting organisation offer ID: D119070630
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.