ORGANISATION/COMPANYKanda University of International Studies
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences › Linguistics
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/09/2019 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Chiba
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
The English Language Institute (ELI) of Kanda University of International Studies (KUIS) has openings for suitably qualified lecturers of English as a foreign language. These lecturer positions are for a two-year period commencing April 2020. There is an option to renew the contract twice, by mutual agreement, making a maximum of six years.
KANDA UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
Kanda University of International Studies (http://www.kandagaigo.ac.jp/kuis/english/) is a private university dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the areas of foreign language education, intercultural communication, linguistics, and culture studies. The University's four undergraduate departments include: English, International Communication, Asian Languages, and Ibero-American Languages. The university also grants MA and PhD degrees in linguistics and applied language studies.
KUIS is fully accredited by Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology. Approximately 4000 students are presently enrolled. The KUIS campus is situated in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture, which is approximately 40 minutes by train from central Tokyo. The university is set in an educational zone with other universities and educational institutions. Makuhari Messe Convention and Exhibition Centre, the World Business Garden, international hotels, Zozo Marine Baseball Stadium, shopping malls, sports clubs and several parks are all also nearby.
THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE
The ELI (http://kandaeli.com/) was founded in 1989 with four full-time members. It now employs 68 lecturers, representing a diversity of nationalities and backgrounds. The University graduated its first four-year cohort in March, 1991. The ELI cooperates with each of the four aforementioned departments to provide all first- and second-year students with a progressive English language education.
Members of the ELI are normally expected to be at the university from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or 10.30 am to 6.30 pm, Monday through Friday. During the two semester breaks, each of approximately five to six weeks, lecturers are not typically required to be on campus at all.
All lecturers are involved in the following during the two fifteen-week semesters of teaching:
● A teaching load of eight 90-minute instruction periods per week, for a total of thirty weeks each year. Teaching may involve working with students in different departments in the university on a variety of courses.
● Conversing with students in the English Lounge and/or consulting by appointment in a skills-practice center (e.g. advising on writing skills in the Academic Support Area) for two 90-minute session per week
● Both during the teaching weeks and at other times during the academic year, lecturers are involved in such things as the following:
○ Ongoing collaborative curriculum development work (e.g. materials development, ongoing action research etc.) related to courses taught
○ Participation in the ELI Professional Development Program comprising classroom observations and mentoring
○ Attendance of all scheduled meetings and planned activities of the ELI, as well as other special meetings, called from time to time as needed (functions organized by the ELI include an annual welcome party for Freshman and the administration of an in-house English proficiency exam.)
○ Attendance of special ceremonies and events conducted by the university, including entrance exams, Open Campus Day, and the Entrance and Graduation Ceremonies.
○ Cooperating with the University's Public Relations division in promoting the university to high school students and other interested parties. Duties may also include occasional demonstration lessons at high schools (such activities may involve additional financial compensation).
○ Gross Annual Pre-tax Salary (including bonuses): ¥5,010,000
○ The salary is payable in monthly instalments
○ Bonus payments are made in September and March
○ The gross salary amount is increased to ¥5,460,000 with the first contract renewal and ¥5,750,000 with the second contract renewal.
○ Annual Private Research Allowance: ¥100,000 plus limited financial support for attendance at national and international conferences
○ Overseas Relocation Allowance: ¥100,000 to defray the relocation expenses incurred by overseas appointees
○ Commuting Allowance: Based on costs of daily travel between a staff member's residence, calculated per university regulations
○ Contract Completion Payment (based on number of years completed).
EURAXESS offer ID: 437563
Posting organisation offer ID: D119080750
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.