RESEARCH FIELDJuridical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/10/2019 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Tokyo
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
Graduate School of Law (hereinafter referred to as GSL) at Waseda University offers a Master's program and a Doctoral program in law, which are conducted in Japanese. In April 2018, GSL launched an LL.M. program (the LL.M. in Asian Economic Integration and Law), a Master's program conducted entirely in English. The Waseda LL.M. is a one-year English-language degree program that cultivates students' ability to identify and solve various legal issues arising from economic integration in modern East Asia.
GSL currently seeks a non-tenure faculty member to enhance teaching primarily in the LL.M. program. This individual will: 1) collect English-language literature (including digital data) on Japanese law for the purpose of improving education and research in the LL.M. program; 2) provide guidance, in Japanese and English, to all students in GSL (all Doctoral and Master's students, including those in the LL.M. program) on methods of collecting legal literature, and; 3) teach academic ethics and academic writing to those students.
[Number of Positions Available]
One (appointment date: April 1, 2020)
[Rank and Affiliation]
Assistant Professor (without tenure) in the Graduate School of Law; rank will be either Koushi (Ninki-tsuki) (a two-year appointment for those without a doctorate) or Jokyou (a three-year appointment for those with a doctorate), both of which are equivalent to Assistant Professor without tenure.
*Rank will be commensurate with the candidate's educational and professional background. Candidates will be notified of their rank by the final interview.
[Terms of Appointment]
(1)Koushi (Ninki-tsuki): 2 years (April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2022)
Jokyou :3 years (April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2023)
(2) Upon completion, the appointment may be renewed for one additional year. Further renewals are possible, but no individual can be employed as GSL faculty for a continuous period exceeding five years. Renewal decisions will consider the individual's overall job performance at GSL. In addition, the appointment cannot be renewed beyond the academic year in which the individual turns 70 years old.
(3) Regardless of rank, there is an upper limit to the length of a continuous employment contract. If an individual: 1) has been under contract with Waseda University anytime after April 1, 2013 and; 2) has not had a period of at least six months without a contract since April 1, 2013, then the length of appointment or renewal may be shorter than indicated above.
(1) Teach legal academic research, academic writing, and academic ethics, as well as provide relevant guidance and training in GSL in both English and Japanese.
*Teaching and training contents may include “methods of searching Japanese and foreign legal literature in English using Lexis and Westlaw," “methods of searching Japanese legal literature in English using databases other than Lexis and Westlaw," and “methods of searching Japanese legal literature in English using paper-based media." Teaching, training, and guidance include both being responsible for classes and providing student guidance outside classes during office hours. Course load may differ depending on the appointed rank.
(2) Gather and manage various types of legal information on Japanese law in English.
(3) Coordinate academic events, including interaction with guest lecturers from overseas.
(4) Other duties as GSL deems necessary.
[Notes on Duties]
(1) The selected candidate is expected to make this appointment at Waseda University their primary occupation.
(2) Duties will generally be carried out on the campuses of Waseda University.
Work days and work hours (start time, end time, break time) will be determined by Waseda University regulations. “Specialized-Type Discretionary Labor System" shall be in effect; due to the nature of a research position, time allocation and work methods will be left to the individual's discretion.
[Salary and Benefits]
(1) Salary: Determined by Waseda University regulations. Bonuses and allowances will not be provided.
(2) Commuting allowance: Provided per Waseda University regulations.
(3) Severance/retirement benefits: Not provided.
(4) Social insurance: National Employees' Pension, Health Insurance, Workers' Compensation Insurance, and Employment Insurance will be provided.
(5) Days off: Saturday, Sunday, year's end and new year's, national holidays, days off in lieu of days on which classes are held on a national holiday, and the anniversary of the university's founding. However, this excludes days on which the university has determined in advance that classes will be held.
(6) Leave: Provided per the Labor Standards Act and other statutes, and as determined by the university.
“Waseda University is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty in order to promote globalization and gender equality on campus. In all matters related to faculty recruitment and promotion, the University prohibits any form of discrimination on the basis of national origin, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation, or disability."
EURAXESS offer ID: 437573
Posting organisation offer ID: D119080533
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.