ORGANISATION/COMPANYJapan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesChemistryEngineering › Materials engineeringTechnology › Chemical technologyTechnology › Materials technology
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2019 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Ishikawa
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
[Explanation of institution (recruitment background, institution details, explanation of project, etc.)]
Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST), the first specialized independent national graduate university in Japan, with the goal of contributing actively to the global society, invites applications from outstanding individuals for a faculty position in the SCHOOL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE. The school aims to open frontier fields based on material science and achieve breakthroughs to the problems of our world and society, and to foster scientists who will exercise leadership for the next generation, through atomic and molecular science with cutting-edge technology on the basis of physics, chemistry and biology at nanoscale. We are seeking a new faculty member who is active in both research and education, and takes sincere interest in guiding students to success.
The Mission of JAIST
JAIST endeavors to foster leaders capable of contributing to the making of a future world by creation of science and technology, through its most advanced education and research in an ideal academic environment.
The Goals of JAIST
JAIST develops leaders in society or industry who hold credible expertise in the frontier science and technology, broad perspectives, high level of autonomy and communication ability, through its systematic advanced graduate education.
JAIST, to contribute to societies with research outcomes, creates a center of excellence for advancement of researches for solving problems of our world and society and develops new fields through a variety of basic researches.
JAIST fosters active global human resources by promoting faculty and student exchanges with leading institutes overseas and globalizing its education and research.
[Job details (duties, subject responsible for, etc.)]
The successful candidate for the position of Associate Professor is expected to:
- Conduct active research and education in the field of energy and environment;
- Give lectures related to the School of Materials Science;
- Supervise and instruct students in laboratory work in master's and doctoral programs;
- Supervise the laboratory work of sub-theme for the students of other laboratories;
- Render the university practical services including helping recruit excellent students, taking on committee work, and so on;
- Willingly assist their laboratory students in finding suitable career positions after graduation; and
- Contribute to the society.
[Address of work location and other information]
1-1 Asahidai, Nomi, Ishikawa, JAPAN
[Number of positions]
April 1, 2020
(1) Working Hours and Holidays
Please see the "Additional information" below.
(2) Salary and Other Allowances
- The annual salary system will be applied.
*Please refer to the following site for details:
(3) Social Insurances
- Taking out the MEXT Mutual Aid Association (Health insurance and pension), worker's accident insurance, and employment insurance.
Term of Employment:
Applicants must choose one of the two types of the term of employment shown below.
(1) Associate Professor (Tenure Track System) has a term of employment for ten years. In case of passing the screening carried out during the term of employment, the person will be promoted to the position of professor before the completion of the term of employment and acquire tenure at JAIST.
In addition, JAIST is planning to provide an associate professor who chose the Tenure Track System, with up to 13 million yen (paid over five years after the start of employment) for research and the like.
(2) Associate Professor (Without a Fixed Term of Employment) has no set term of employment.
JAIST is planning to provide an associate professor who chose Without a Fixed Term of Employment, with up to 5 million yen (paid over three years after the start of employment) for research and the like.
When applying for the position, applicants must submit the enclosed employment type application form. Please note that JAIST is promoting the Tenure Track System and welcoming applicants who select this system positively.
6 months from starting date of employment
Working Hours and Holidays:
- Discretionary Labor System for Professional Work: 7 hours 45 minutes per day
- Holidays: Saturdays and Sundays, National Holidays, JAIST Foundation Day, Winter Break (from December 29 to January 3) and Summer Closure Days
- You may be requested to work on some holidays for lecture, entrance examination, university information sessions, and so on. Holiday work is compensated with a substitute day off.
Sabbatical leave is available.
We are supporting female faculty members in need of balancing work and child-rearing by providing a research assistant worker up to three years.
More detailed information about Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and School of Materials Science is available at:
EURAXESS offer ID: 449263
Posting organisation offer ID: D119090743
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.